Ginger Software is the leading contextual grammar and spell checker on the market today. Based on a full sentence context, Ginger can automatically correct severe spelling and grammatical mistakes at an unmatched success rate. It enables users to produce error-free texts, quickly and easily. The product operates as an online service and supports MS-Word, MS-Outlook, MS-PowerPoint, Internet Explorer and Firefox. Its mission is to facilitate writing, especially for ESL learners or for those with learning difficulties like dyslexia. A unique text-correction algorithm automatically analyzes the text and selects the most appropriate semantic and grammatical correction. To learn more, click HERE...
WhiteSmoke Writing Software
WhiteSmoke’s online grammar checker is the best grammar checker software available for identifying and fixing grammar mistakes in academic documents, business letters, and anything else. The grammar checker checks and corrects all common errors found in writing. With this online grammar checker from WhiteSmoke you can proofread the text with just a simple click of the mouse. Our online grammar checker will prevent the embarrassment of sending out text riddled with grammar errors. A document that has been through our English grammar checker will look more professional, ensuring that get the new client, close that deal, or ace that term paper. The grammar checker software will spot errors that most human readers would not catch. To learn more, click HERE...
Software for Writing Dissertations
There is software available that automatically formats your paper, handles all necessary Word functions, automates citing references, and includes the most sophisticated input verification technology on the market. Whether you are writing a research paper, writing a dissertation or thesis, or simply creating a term paper, this software is the right choice for you. To learn more, click HERE...
English Literature Examinations
Resources to help students prepare for literature examinations Grades 11-13, Sixth Form, Further Education College. Examinations: International Baccalaureate, US Advanced Placement and UK GCE Advanced Level. To learn more, click HERE....
English Harmony e-Book
A non-native English speaker Robby Kukurs has worked out fluency and confidence maintenance system based on his own experience. The goal of his e-book English Harmony is to help non-native English speakers change their whole outlook on life and the way they perceive things when they speak English. To learn more, click HERE...
Topics for ESL Instructors
Delivereez offers a unique learning experience by providing information on many topics which can be easily delivered to your computer. Download a variety of topics, useful ESL teaching resources (can be used as materials for discussion) such as a Canadian family's four year expedition around the world in a sailboat; professionally written speeches for the bride and groom, the bestman, maid of honour, or father and mother of the bride; how to take professional photos without having to learn the technical jargon; how you can speak a foreign language fast...To learn more, click HERE...
Improve your Students' Reading Skills Quickly and Easily by Using the Rainbow Reading Games e-Books
You can easily improve your students' reading skills by playing reading games and phonics games. Reading activities are simple to use and they are very engaging. Robot Reader gives children the core skills they need to be confident and successful readers. You can create professional reading games with the click of a button! The kids will love them! The Rainbow Reading Games E-books are Adobe PDF files. To see them, you will need to have the FREE Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. To learn more, click HERE!
English Survival Kit
Everyday Survival Kit for English Learners has been designed in such a way that students can learn to talk really fast. They will learn to speak by using a simple method. It also has a section 'How to talk to people over the Phone' and provides many sample conversations. To learn more, click HERE...
Publish Your Own Ebook in 7 Days
Learn how to write and publish your own profitable ebook in as little as 7 days – even if you can’t write, can’t type and failed high school English class. Discover the secrets to having your own, outrageously profitable ebook written and published in 7 days! Step-by-step details spelled out quickly. Learn the tips, tricks and secrets directly from some of the most successful e-authors online today! To learn how to write and publish your own ebook in 7 days, click HERE...
Protect Your Children When They Are Online
Protect your child from Internet predators, pedophiles, cyber stalkers, online sex offenders when you are not there. To learn more, click HERE...
Dictionaries A dictionary can embrace only a small part of the vast tapestry of a language. - Giacomo Leopardi
Types of Dictionaries
There are different types of dictionaries and it is the ESL teacher’s responsibility to decide or advise which type of dictionary is best for their students. Dictionaries can be conventional (traditional, in book format) and electronic; monolingual and multilingual.
Students must know that dictionaries can be classified according to the functions they perform: 1. Pronunciation, etymology, synonyms, antonyms, etc. 2. Special subjects, such as Business, Medicine, Arts, Music, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, etc. 3. For adults or children of different levels, ages, interests and cultural backgrounds. 4. Varieties of the language, e.g. British, American, Australian, etc. How to Choose Suitable Dictionaries for ESL Students
Students want to make sure the dictionary will meet their needs before they buy it. They usually ask their ESL teacher for advice. A professional ESL teacher should give their students (also, those who want to buy dictionaries for schools) the following recommendations:
1. Variety of English. A teacher should advise their students whether they should buy American, British or Australian variety dictionary. Most students usually do not think about this simple but important feature of choice.
2. Level. Dictionaries for children should be selected by their school or kindergarten. For mature students at intermediate and advanced levels or adults who work in companies of various profiles there are special dictionaries of arts, business, science, technology, medicine, etc. It is an ESL trainer’s responsibility to give the right advice.
3. Copyright date. Look into the copyright date and see how old the dictionary is. Some dictionaries with a latest copyright date still may not have the most modern words and meanings included. Check if the dictionary contains such words like workaholic, viral marketing, etc.
4. Definitions. Make sure the definitions are simple and easy to understand. They should be written in simple English with examples that show the word in context. There should also be colorful pictures, symbols, tables and diagrams. They should help to understand meanings of words and phrases.
5. Etymologies. Look at the etymologies. The dictionary should show not only the language but the actual foreign or archaic word that the English word came from, e.g. Latin, Greek, etc. Such dictionaries enhance students’ language competency beyond the English language.
6. Formal and informal uses. A good dictionary shows both formal and informal uses, while warning of truly offensive words.
7. Acronyms. There should be currently used, modern acronyms, too.
8. Synonyms and antonyms. A good dictionary, apart from the explanations of meanings, contains synonyms and antonyms given at each meaning.
9. Proverbs, sayings and quotations. Good dictionaries include proverbs, sayings or quotations related to meanings of particular words, phrases or idioms.
10. Pronunciation should be written in square brackets by means of international transcription symbols - International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA). There should also be a guide to transcription symbols and their actual meanings.
11. Usage notes and guides. Check if there are useful usage notes. There should be guides to usage, punctuation, grammar and vocabulary building rules, as well as lists of irregular verbs and nouns.
12. Basic facts about the world. A dictionary should contain pages with lists of weights, measures, basic facts about the world and basic human activities related to arts, sciences, technology and medicine.
13. Information about the number of entries. A good dictionary should contain information about the number of entries in the dictionary. There should be at least 80,000 entries. Dictionary Software
Installed Software There are learning software programs which create customized word lists for students as they learn words. Such software programs can help English language learners to accumulate pattern sentences for these words from the familiar contexts they are listening to and reading. They can set vocabulary acquisition goals and follow their progress towards these goals. Such software can be purchased either by schools of by individuals and installed into computers. Online Software The Internet has become the place of choice to learn English by learners of various ages and levels. The Internet software is always available online. It can help students to accumulate vocabulary based on interesting language content customized to their specific needs. On the Internet your students can use online dictionaries to look up words instantly, i.e. Babylon. They can learn English both in the classroom and at home.
A Dictionary of Distinctions provides new insights into common words, about the awesome power of ordinary words... Words that so-called "normal" folks take for granted and use every day in their conversations without ever giving them another thought. This book is a journey through the way language shapes our reality. More...
Real speed reading is a method where you re-train your brain to break the old habits you were taught in third grade. Those reading methods were fine when you first learned to read and you needed to know the mechanics of reading. But now, those same methods only slow your reading down. To learn more about speed reading, click HERE...
Ghost Hunting Software
This Paranormal Investigations and Ghost Hunting Software is designed to easily track your entire investigation, manage evidence and print full reports and neatly store your findings for quick and easy access for future reference. This Paranormal Investigations and Ghost Hunting Software is simple and easy to use. To learn more about the Ghost Hunting Software, click HERE...
High Quality Educational Products
Basic Skills provides high quality educational products to help you evaluate your students' academic progress and to prepare them for achievement testing. All products are shipped first class. To learn more, click HERE...
RELIABLE ENGLISH TEACHING, LEARNING AND RESEARCH RESOURCES
This website is free. No registration or login is required. Your assistance is needed. Please donate to improve this website. ESL DRIVE BLOG
Materials on this website are published for research and educational purposes and information is presented as accurately as possible. ESL DRIVE is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites. Disclaimer.